Many people think it’s easy. I don’t.
Living on a desert Island, forced to eat worms and leaves, anyone can do. But the social tension and hunger bring out the worst of everyone.
Over the years, some patterns can be consistently spotted.
1) You must be insipid, predictable and say that you do the game just for fun. You don’t care about money.
2) Never break a pact to join the ennemy, you will be sanctionned in the final round.
3) Say that you like everyone, but it breaks your heart to vote against him/her. Spot minor injuries, signs of homesickness, hunger, anger, mosquito bites, anything… and talk the others to get that person out for their best. You’ll end up being considerated like a compassionate person.
4) Stay with the group leader, and instil paranoia with “innoculous” comments, like “Well done at the immunity test. Too bad John didn’t congratulate you for that. He must have been too exhausted after it anyway. He did his best I think.” After a few of those (max 3 per day, but you can do more as people become more and more receptive to your words because of exhaustion. Same technique as brainwashing), the group leader will have a personal vendetta to fulfill and a worthy companion, which role you’d be happy to endorse. Don’t try that with John (the other guy), or with a lot of subtelty. Be receptive and wait for the tilting point, the change of balance of power is an important turn of events.
5) Use a vocabulary that works. It should be food related at best. “Something is fishy” “It will be a piece of cake”. You address their subconscious mind, their stomach and you are identified as “food provider”. That’s the best role you can have in the game.
6) Never complain. Don’t be a nagger. Don’t be perceived as one. People suffer enough to have extra pain, especially a pain in the neck.
7) Don’t be identified as a potential winner. You should always underperform. And save energy for the last round.
Let people talk. Don’t talk. Unless it is a relevant compliment. You have two ears and one month. You should be hearing twice more than you talk. (Confucius)
9) If you get transferred in the other team… this is bad! Try to get the immunity, prove yourself useful, create disorder… try to understand how teams are structured and find the weak point. The weakest link is the one who stands alone after lunch. Go talk to him about the weather and tell the others that he asked you to vote against one of them. And that you are too honest to do that. You’re such a frank person. But this case is the worst case scenario. The other rules can still be applied adequately.
10) Don’t try to find a partner on the island. Everyone gets jealous, and the best guess is that in the next two turns, you’re both out. You should go to “temptation Island” for that, with a fake partner. But that’s another story.
Hope you’ll apply to that show and make it worth seeing. Quote me and send me some money if you win.
If you have any other ideas, feel free to share.